Tuesday 29 May 2007

It says so in the book

I had to get up early this morning to go to the eye centre. Because I have diabetes, I have to go once a year to have my eyes checked because diabetes can cause blindness. That's caused by your blood sugar being too high and you don't know it's happening until it's too late. They put drops into your eyes that make your pupils dilate. This has 2 effects - things close up become very blurred (so it's tricky finding the number for the taxi to get you home) and you are very sensitive to bright light (so need to wear sunglasses or keep in the shadows). Anyway everything was fine and there are no problems.

As I was waiting for the taxi I had a thought. Just like too much sugar can cause blindness, in a way that you don't notice - in the same way, too much of the world can cause you to become blind too. Blind to God's word and what He says. You don't realise it's happening but gradually, day by day, if you let yourself be conformed to the "patterns of the world" (Romans 12:2) then you are becoming blind.

It's so important to do regular checks with God's word to see what it says. Often the world says one thing, your emotions scream at you another thing - yet the bible says something completely different. Yesterday Nat and I read the book of James and so here are some of the things it says...

1. The testing of my faith will develop perseverance. The more testing it is, the more perseverance I will have. Then I will be "mature and complete".
It says so in the book. (James 1:2-4)

2. If I need wisdom, all I have to do is ask and I have it. It says so in the book. (James 1:5)

3. If I stand the test...if I go through then I will "receive the crown of life." It says so in the book. (James 1:12)

4. If I submit to God and resist the devil then the devil will flee. If I come near to God, He will come near to me. It says so in the book. (James 4:7-8)

5. If I humble myself before the Lord, He will lift me up. Despite how I feel, no matter what anyone else says or anyone else thinks... that's what He will do because it says so in the book. (James 4:10)

It doesn't matter to me what the world says or what my emotions say or what my past experience says or what other people say... these things are true because it says so in the book. Some things require me to do my part, but when I have, the rest is settled. It says so...in the book.

2 comments:

Her said...

I really enjoyed going through James with you Pilch!!

Anonymous said...

So true pilchy, so true, we do become blind to the word sometimes and we need to thank god for making us realise that and drawing us back to him again xx